Friday, June 18, 2010

Fun = Tough = improvement

Every time I write a program, I am thinking of clever new ways to use my own body weight as resistance. Often times when I put together a program I am thinking in terms of basic movement patterns: push, pull, push overhead, pull down, squat, lunge and rotational resistance. Each exercise I choose is grounded in one of these basic movements.

So when I put together last month's Hi-5 FitCamp workout I included a new exercise I call "Partner Pulls." Think of when you see teammates help each other up off the ground when one player is sitting and the other is standing. Except with this exercise, both people are sitting. Basically you and a partner sit down fairly close together with your knees bent up and your feet flat on the ground touching toe to toe. You grab right hands, interlocking thumbs or wrists and both pull at the same time.

I originally thought this exercise was going to be too easy. But the exact OPPOSITE occurred!! Everyone in the group said it was the toughest exercise and they DREADED doing it!

So now my challenge is to somehow make this round TOUGHER.

But for now I will leave you with a Recovery Week Challenge.

Your goal is to perform the following circuit as many times as you can in 15 minutes.

Beginners - 
20 squats
10 wide pushups
20 lunges
10 single arm door jam pulls (sit on the ground with your feet at a door jam, place your hand about door knob height, and pull while simultaneously standing up)
20 smurf jacks
30 slow motion mountain climbers

Advanced - 
30 squats
15 wide pushups (feet elevated on couch or chair)
20 split jumps
15 Single arm door jam pulls
25 smurf jacks
40 slow motion mountain climbers

That should keep you busy for the next week. 

If you choose not to complete the circuit, then get outdoors and do something active. Go for bike ride, play some Frisbee, head to the batting cages, go swimming at McMurtrey Aquatics Center or go rock climbing at Action Sports. Whatever it is, just be ACTIVE. Set an example for friends, family and co-workers. It doesn't have to be for an hour. Even 20 minutes is beneficial!

I will see you on June 28th for a devastatingly fun Hi-5 FitCamp!

No comments:

Post a Comment