But let's refer to everybody's new favorite cookbook, "Gourmet Nutrition" for their version of the "Taco Salad."
Step 1 - Preparing the chicken.
- Because each meal needs a protein component, we are going to add chicken to our taco salad.
- So defrost the chicken, season it with 2 pinches of salt, 1 pinch of peper and 1 pinch of paprika
- Saute the chicken until it is lightly browned all over and cooked completely through.
Step 2 - Making the mix
- Set the chicken aside to cool and then lightly respray the pan with olive oil and add 1/4 cup of thinly sliced onion to the pan and cook until they are slightly browned
- add 1/2 a cup of diced tomato and 1/4 cup of frozen or canned corn
- Cook for an additional minute and then remove the heat and cool
- In a large bowl add the chicken (chop it first), the corn-onion-tomato mix
- Also add 3 cups of fresh spinach leaves, 1.3-cup of crushed whole wheat tortilla chips and 1/2-cup of grated cheddar cheese.
This makes 1 large or 2 small servings.
A small serving has 263 calories, 10.5g of fat, 13 g of carbohydrates and 29.4 -g of protein. For a large serving, simply double these numbers.
This is a meal you can have anytime as it is low in carbohydrates and high in protein. There it is - a guilt free Taco Salad!!
You can purchase "Gourmet Nutrition" by clicking on the link to the left or on any of the highlighted links.