Monday, March 15, 2010

5 Snacks to help structure your eating!

Often times my wife gets more than a little flustered with me for more than a few reasons. But probably the thing that bothers her the most, is my lack of planning when it comes to things around the house. And I can't blame her.

I can't count how many times she has said "We need to sit down and discuss ________ sometime soon." My response is, "okay, let's do it."

However, I commit to it and then I am on my way to the next thing. Two weeks later, that _______ comes up again and we still haven't talked about it. So what I have realized is that I need to structure and plan my time accordingly. If I commit to something, I need to write it down so I don't have to remember, but rather my planner will remember for me.

My method of problem solving at home is similar to most people's eating and exercise plan. There is the verbal portion, but then the ACTION NEVER COMES!

A structured eating plan and a structured exercise plan is necessary. But it does not have to be complicated or extreme.

Take small steps. Like Richard Dreyfus in the movie, "What About Bob?" - Baby Steps.

So here are 5 snack idea's to make sure you are taking small steps to change your eating habits. (After all, you are already exercising at least 4 times a week in the Hi-5 FitCamp!)
  1. Sunday afternoon, take 5 sandwich bags and put 1/3 cup of almonds in each one. You now have a low calorie, slow digesting snack to help keep your blood sugar stead through each afternoon. Just make sure you take them to work with you!
  2. Buy 5 banana's and 5 apples or pears and put them in a large bowl in your office. Then make sure that you eat every piece of fruit in the bowl by Friday. The bonus is your co-workers will know that you are taking your eating seriously and set a great example for the office.
  3. Buy 5 yogurts and stick them in the fridge at work. Again, you know have a low cal, high protein snack to get you through the afternoon's.
  4. Buy a package of beef jerky for those desperate times when you are driving, and are so hungry that your thumb is starting to look tasty. You will probably have to reload each week!
  5. Buy yourself an aluminum, 1-L water bottle. First off it looks cool, especially when it gets banged up (scratches add character) but also it's a reminder that you should be going through that bottle AT LEAST once a day, if not TWICE. Water helps your kidney's function. If your kidneys aren't functioning optimally, they rely on your liver. Your helps to mobilize fat. If your liver is helping the kidney's how is it going to get that fat moving?
So there you go. 5 ways to TAKE ACTION today to improve your eating habits!

No comments:

Post a Comment