Thursday, March 31, 2011

Do you have one of THESE in your life right now?

I told my kindergarten teacher I was going to be a Navy pilot.
Who did you look up to as a kid? Who did you want to be like?

I remember when I was about 5-6 years old I had just seen Top Gun (not the best movie for a 5-year old) and wanting to be in the Navy. My dad was in the Navy, my mom had been in the Navy, my grandfather was in the Navy and now Top Gun had just elevated being a fighter pilot to superhero status.

As we grow up, our hero's change though. Many of us let go of role models and mentors as we age. 

But in the Hi-5 FitCamp there has been 1 person who just about everybody has said they want to be like. This person is a great mentor for many women. She occasionally goes by the name "Sarge" and can unleash hell on the group in the kindest of voices when filling in for me. She's encouraging, but relentless; compassionate but unwavering in her expectations not only of her self, but also of the group. 

But the thing that allows others to identify with her is that she's been through the misery of the Hi-5 FitCamp now for going on 5 years. She knows the how tough it can be and but also knows the results it can produce.

Kelly Bittick is who so many women and a handful of men (myself included) have aspired to be like when it comes to fitness. Kelly is strong, flexible, stable, mobile, powerful and persistent and I thought it would be nice to see a few things through her eyes. 

So here is my interview with Kelly on "The Hi-5 Hot Seat: 10 Questions with Kelly Bittick."

When did you first get interested in fitness? Were you an athlete in high school? 

During my high school years my sister was a manager at a couple of different gyms here in town. That’s where I started getting interested in working out. She was also into bodybuilding for a while so I was exposed to that lifestyle of intense training and diet regimens. Most of which I knew were too extreme for me. In high school, I had a very short lived diving career and was involved in dance. That’s about it . Sort of a late bloomer in the athletic sense.

 Did you have any preconceived notions on what women should and shouldn’t do for exercise? Were you ever afraid of using heavier weights? 

I can’t recall thinking that there should be any sort of set boundaries for womens exercise specifically. I know in a gym setting,  you see women typically just using machines more than bar bells or dumbbells. I was never afraid of using weights but probably didn’t try to push it as much as I do now. 10 years ago, many women including me, weren’t really as much into the outdoor/not-afraid-to-get-dirty type of workouts that we see going on now. 

Kelly doing what Kelly does: pushing us all to the next level.
You were the first woman in the Hi-5 FitCamp to do full chin-ups and in the last test you did 8 in 30 seconds. That's pretty impressive, considering many women are "afraid" of pullups. Is there any exercise you’re afraid of doing? 

I can’t think of any particular exercise that I would be afraid of doing at all, I would at least attempt it. Well maybe the rock climbing wall is a bit challenging for me with my fear of heights issues ….but I will still do it! 

What are your top 5 favorite exercises? 

Jump squats, “speed skaters”, sprints, med ball slams, any kind of cone drill. 

What are your 3 favorite foods? 

Chicken stir-fry, bean/cheese/rice burritos, apples/ peanut butter. 

What does your typical day of eating look like?  

Let’s see…COFFEE, yogurt/fruit smoothie breakfast, mid morning oats with nuts, dried cranberries, lunch usually some sort of sandwich or salad with chicken or turkey (there’s a Sequoia Sandwich conveniently located in my building at work), afternoon snacks might be apples/peanut butter, mixed nuts, or the second half of my lunch. Dinner a piece of chicken, fish, or turkey patty, salad-veggies/rice or pasta Sometimes omelets for breakfast or dinner. Spaghetti with ground turkey occasionally. Let me just add…of course I indulge sometimes…I just try to do it in moderation.   

Do you take any supplements? 

Only thing I take is a protein/energy shake powder I mix into my morning smoothies. It’s loaded with a plethora of vitamins and minerals and a tri-protein blend. 

Besides the 4 hours per week in the Hi-5 FitCamp, what does your activity level look like and what types of activities do you enjoy doing? 

Right now, I’m trying to get a run in a couple evenings a week, a long run and or a bike ride on the weekends. Sometimes I like to do some hill work on the bluffs or run stadiums. Maybe I should say those last two are more of a “love/hate”  thing??? Ha Ha. 

How much sleep do you usually get? 

Honestly…not enough. Most of the time. 6  to 7 hrs ? I am working on this though. 

What is the one thing that people can do to stay motivated in pursuit of their fitness goals? 

Don’t limit yourself or be afraid to “step outside of the box”. This applies to your exercise as well as diet. This is why I am such a huge fan of the Hi-5 fit camp, the movements and exercises that we are introduced to are always changing and evolving. These challenges are what make it fun while giving way to positive RESULTS….I know it has for me!
________________________________________________________________________________
So there you go! Between the nutrition, work ethic and mindset, Kelly has really excelled in health and fitness. She enjoys it for herself and enjoys teaching others about it! Thanks a ton Kelly for all you bring to our class. It wouldn't be what it is without you!

No comments:

Post a Comment